Monday, January 25, 2016

Petoskey


Sister Ensign sent a short note today.  Her President sent a message telling us that she would be covering many miles in her new assignment.  She is leaving today to move to her new area, Petoskey. Pronounced (Pe-taw-ski).  Her note is as follows:

Correction: Just found out that there were email issues this morning.  Here is the letter she sent to be posted. 

Well a good goodbye is a short goodbye, so GOODBYE MT. PLEASANT!!! It is sad to think that someone else will be serving in my place, but I know Sister Wilde will do an amazing job as a TRAINER, and she is more than qualified to do so. Whoever this new sister is, I hope you come to love Mt. Pleasant as much as I have loved it. Saying goodbye was hard, and yes, there were tears, but I am excited for this new adventure! Welcome to.....PETOSKEY!!!!
Oh what a week! We had a world wide missionary devotional on Wednesday, as well as a Zone training! It was so cool, and I loved it. I also sang a SOLO there. Mom, I know you won't believe me, but I really did! I sang, "I Wonder When He Comes Again" because Daddy used to sing that with me as a little girl, and "I Know That my Redeemer Lives". One big shock of the week!
 
On Thursday we went to the temple! It was so cool! It was weird to leave the mission, but it was an incredible experience to do temple work, especially for an ancestor. I love being in His home, and it was an especially neat experience as a missionary. It took most of the day, and Sister Sheppard was an angel for taking us! "Oh, it was awesome!"

On Thursday night, we got our transfer calls. I am so excited to be on the shore, even though it will be FREEZING!!! I am stoked, and have only heard how beautiful it is! Wahoo!

I have been packing for the last few days, and have been saying goodbye. So many people have gone out of their way to help me, and I am so grateful for this chance I have had to serve here.

I know that my Redeemer lives, and love us all. I have been studying charity for the last few weeks, so will you commit to reading Moroni 7:45-48 (actually the whole chapter) before next Monday? If you do, I promise you in the name of Jesus Christ that you will begin to feel the Love of Christ more in your life this week. Pray to have more charity and then look for the miracles that come as you see the reality of Christ love more abundant in your life! It's awesome!

Have a wonderful week!

Xoxo
Sister Ensign


Dear Mom and Dad,
 
  I have been called to be a Sister Training Leader. I am going as far north as President sends Sisters, which is an honor, and also is kind of crazy. I appreciate his trust! I don't really have that much information, but I do know that my apartment is RIGHT on the shore! I AM SOO EXCITED!! I know that the lake affect snow hits me directly, so I will be wearing all of the layers I can wear! I am excited to see what will happen!
  
I'll send pictures next week!!

Love you both! Thanks for being the best parents!!
   
Xoxo

Sister Ensign :)
 
Mom has looked up some information on Petoskey.  It is primarily a SUMMER destination.  It is on the shores of Lake Michigan's beautiful Little Traverse bay.  Earnest Hemingway spent the first 18 summers of his life sailing and fishing there.  This area is featured in more of his short stories than any other area.  He referred to the area as 'a priceless place."  Remember, he spent his SUMMERS there.  The summer weather has average temperatures in the high 60's.  One travel site said:  "Winters can be quite cold and brutal this far north and on the lake, temperatures average around 10 degrees and dip lower very often during the peak of winter. This doesn't stop the tough folks with a love for winter sports coming; for those who like the snow in warmer weather, consider March as oftentimes snow remains but the temperature is significantly better than in January."  Petoskey has been described as "quiet and quaint with small town atmosphere charm". It has the famous Gaslight
Shopping District- with boutiques, art galleries and excellent dinning."
 
The 2012 population was 5, 717.  Petoskey has been named one of the top 20 places to visit by Smithsonian Magazine.  The area was settled in the early 1800's.  There are 500 Victorian homes and public buildings on the national historic register. 
 
Camille's dad has said that this sounds like the place that we will go back and visit with Camille after her mission..........  It will be during the summer months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment