Monday, April 11, 2016

The Restoration and the Birth of Jesus Christ

Hello family!!! Ok, to begin, I want to start off with the coolest thing that happened this week.

We have been praying to find new people to teach. We were out of town for the first couple days, so we only had a few days to be finding in Petoskey. 


On Thursday, we were in a SMALL town called CONWAY, which can't have more than 100 people in the whole town. We knocked on a door, thought no one was home, but a 17 year old kid came and talked with us for a while. Long story short, we ended up teaching him the plan of Salvation on his front porch (because no woman was home) while it was snowing! It was actually pretty cool!!!


On Friday, we had a free afternoon, with some time to go wherever we wanted to go finding. We had initially picked a street called Jennings here in Petoskey. I thought, however, that with some extra time and miles, we should go back out to this small town of Conway with the success from the previous day. We drive all the way out there, and once there, we both got a feeling that it was wrong. I felt quite bad because I thought that we had wasted time and miles all for nothing. We come all the way back to Petoskey to knock on Jennings street-which is within walking distance of our apartment. We talk to only a few people, but were able to get some potential investigators from it. As we walk down the street, Sister Smith and I discuss how we are able to know what is an impression from the Spirit, trying to figure out how to listen better after some wasted time. HOWEVER, as we walk down the street, a man that we had just spoken with came hobbling after us and said "I thought about what you said, and I do want to meet. Give me 10 minutes and I'll meet you at the Library". Cool!!! 

We meet at the Library, and before we can introduce ourselves, the man (Richard) says "I'll tell you something. I was writing a letter to God this afternoon. I was pouring my heart out to Him. I had JUST finished my letter when you knocked on my door. When I sent you away, the Spirit told me that you have a message for me that I need to listen to. The devil told me that you were too far away, and to let you keep going down the street. But I had to listen to the Spirit. So what is it? I'll listen". 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously it was so cool!!!!!!!!!!! I later saw that the Lord sent us out to Conway so Richard could finish his letter. He is 68, and is pretty religious. We saw him on Saturday, and he seems very interested in the message, though we don't know if he is all the way open to changing. (But no worries!! The Spirit will help him with that part). Oh, it was so awesome!!! 
We also had some opportunities to serve at a different food bank this week. It was fun to be with new people, and to help others in need in whatever way we can. The thing that surprised me the most was how affected (effected? Haha I have no idea on spelling) I was by the radio in the background. I know in my head that baptized members of the church have the Spirit with us always, but I didn't realize how that is drastically increased it is as a missionary. The music playing in the background was quiet, and though we did our best to block it out, I found myself singing along to "Gent (gentile)" music. When I caught myself, I felt the definite absence of the Spirit. I am so grateful for this opportunity to be so involved with the Spirit of the Lord. 
We also had a trip down to Lansing!!! It was probably too much fun, and though we had little sleep, we had a wonderful time being trained to help our Sisters a much as possible. it was fun to see President and Sister Jacobsen again, and I look forward to seeing them again this upcoming week. I'll be all over Northern Michigan this week for different training with the Sisters up here, and I am so excited to help in whatever way I can. 
Conference was great, and I loved Elder Christofferson's about Daddy's. I love you Daddy! I also loved Elder Holland's talking about getting credit for trying out best. AND, I loved British Elder Kearon. Seriously, love a good accent. And love learning about helping others #doublewammie 
I love being a missionary. I am currently in Petoskey!!! I will be heading down to Traverse City this evening, then to Midland on Wednesday, then to Cadillac on Wednesday afternoon to come back to Petoskey on Thursday. I love being a missionary, I can't even handle it! I opened my call a year ago, and I have thought about all that has happened over the last year. It's crazy how quickly time is speeding up! I can't believe it. 
I love Jesus Christ, and testify that He lives. 

Have a wonderful day and week!

Sister Ensign 
Favorite view from my apartment
The Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment