Monday, February 1, 2016

I made it to PETOSKEY!

 
Hello Hello from another Pleasant place- PETOSKEY MICHIGAN!!!! I am living in a Winter Wonderland, as my apartment is on the shores of Lake Michigan! I see the Lake everyday, and it is beautiful!!! The part on my side isn't frozen over, so I get to see the waves and it is BEAUTIFUL!!! The other half is frozen, so we also have seen people Ice Fishing, and it's awesome!! I love it here!!

Last week I invited you to read Moroni 7:45-48 (actually the whole chapter) before today. Did you do it? I invite you to do so now if you haven't! The Lord will help you receive more charity if you do!
 
My companion's name is Sister Smith, and she is truly amazing! She has been out for about a year, and it is a blessing to be able to learn from her. We are in the Petoskey Branch in the Traverse City District (One of two Districts in the USA). The branch is mostly retired people, with about 3 families. It was a neat experience to go to church and have it be in a branch building, with about 3 rows of chairs for Sacrament Meeting. The branch is struggling a bit, so it is an honor and a blessing to have been sent here. I know it has nothing to do with me or my ability, I just get to be a part of something great. I am so excited to see what will happen here in the next few months!

This week was full of new experiences for sure.  We drive a Jeep (Which is awesome!), are in a HUGE apartment (which is also awesome )and are on the shore (which is even more awesome!) I also have the opportunity to use facebook to teach lessons to people, so don't be surprised when you see me on there! The weather is cold, and there is quiet a lot of snow-but not as much as I was expecting for where I am. I am told the worst is coming, so I am enjoying only wearing 4 layers of coats and leggings. We'll see what the future brings..haha!
 
There is one day a week where we don't have a car, so we walk everywhere. As such, we were walking home in the dark one night this week. A woman came up tp us and said "Come get in!" We told her no... A) It was a stranger and B) We were quiet close, but it was so kind of her to offer. She drove away, only to turn around a few minutes later and invite us back in. As she drove us home, she told us that she saw our nametags, and that she had spoken with missionaries in the past. She offered us dinner and a ride whenever we needed it. There truly are some amazing people out in this world. Thank you, past missionaries, for setting a good example for us.

I took so many pictures this week from all over the city, but my converter thing hasn't been working for the last few moths, so I've been borrowing Sister Wilde's. I am on trade offs right now, so I can send more pictures next week! Petoskey reminds me of a San Francisco type place. It is right on the water, and there are so many little shops on the shore. I can't wait until the summer when all of the tourists come, to see what this place looks like when there are LOTS of people here. It is so cute, and I already want to have a summer home here one day. I honestly can't believe that I get to serve in Petoskey:)
 
I know so much happened this week, but everything is so new I am trying to remember what happened! I do know that so many people offer to help us-it's awesome. OHH!!!!!!! Haha!!! We doorknocked into some Jehovah Witnesses this week, and they let us in for a while. Needless to say, there was no changing their hearts. In the middle of our discussion, I thought "You do realize that you are asking these INSANELY DEEP doctrinal questions of a 19 year old girl, right?" One was in her late 50's and the other in her late 40's, and it amazed me how simple the gospel is. I have gained a true appreciation for the simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
We also had A Zone P-Day today, and it was So fun! We went bowling, had lunch, and then played dodge ball and had a devotional. I know there will be pictures posted, so I'll have to send some of those next week.
 
Because there are so few people here in Petoskey, we don't have many investigators. We have been finding all day, every day, but we are trying to perfect it. It is so tiring, and this has been one of the most tiring weeks I've had. But it was great. I also got to call Sister Wilde and her trainee, Sister Burk, on Thursday, and I know that Mt. Pleasant is in good hands.
 
Overall, I am doing well, and I feel tired and so so blessed. The church is true, and I know it. I read Elder Holland's talk "Lord, I believe" and it was amazing! I know that the Apostles are men of God. Will you read this talk before next Monday? If you do, I promise you in the name of Christ that you will be able to see your faith increase as you continually submit your will to His.

I hope you all have a great week, and know you are loved!!
Xoxo
Sister Ensign

No comments:

Post a Comment