Wednesday, August 24, 2016

How can the transfer already be over?


Hello family and friends! I hope you are doing well and have had a wonderful week! 
     Remember our good neighbor friend David who walked us out a couple weeks ago? Well, it has been my personal challenge to be nicer to that man than anyone I've ever met. I was dancing in the parking lot this morning and as he gets into his car says, "Are you training for something?" I told him briefly about trying to keep in shape (...haha I WISH) by dancing/running every day for the folk dance team. He then said, "I want you to know that I really appreciate what you do. The reason I walked you out the other day was because how you got into our apartment was deceitful. You know what I mean?"....HAHAH!!! It's crazy how opening a door works. Anyway, long story short-please pray for David. One day he'll like me, "but that day is not today".. haha!

This week was actually really cool! The branch was hit hard with some pretty major tragedies, and I don't know if I've ever seen God's hand more in our lives. On the 4th, one of our member's apartment burned and she lost everything. The kid above her was playing with fireworks and one didn't completely finish burning. She thankfully was at work, but has to get new everything. 
     The more I have thought about it, the more I see it as God's greatest blessings to her. She is financially struggling MAJORLY due to poor choices, and I thought she was going to be homeless before I left the area. Now that her place burned, she will be able to get an apartment closer to work, and she is able to gt even nicer things than she had. They let her go through what she could for 15 minutes a few days later, and she actually was able to find a bin with her only son's baby pictures. Isn't that so cool! Not only was God able to save her financially, He is able to give her something even greater in return-and is able to bless the branch with an opportunity to serve. 

We also found out yesterday that one of my favorite less active members has stage 4 breast cancer. She bawled as I rubbed her back for a while. I didn't really know what to say when she told us, but I read some scriptures with her and gave her many, many tissues. We visited her last night, and it was good to be with her. We talked with her about possible solutions, but mainly we just listened. All of the sudden, I said, "One of my favorite things about being a missionary is that we have literally been set apart to represent the Lord Jesus Christ. As such, we have been given the authority to act in His name" I randomly opened up my scriptures and read Mosiah 4:9 'Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend'. I then said "I promise you in the name of Jesus Christ that if you will either move out of or marry your boyfriend, you will be healed. God loves you and wants you to obey Him". WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started freaking out in the car afterwards. I asked her if she believed me, and when she said "Yes", I testified that I knew God loved her. It was actually a really neat experience

(Sorry the font changed, and I don't know how to change it back!) 

This week I also got to spend a night in Cadillac as well as in Mt. Pleasant in my old apartment!!! It was so weird to be back there, and 6 months of memories definitely came back. I am grateful for Mt. Pleasant, but I was sure glad to come back home to Petoskey! We traveled all over because we had Zone Training, and I ended up teaching part of it. My topic was "working with Members" and I prayed for days on what I should do. I couldn't figure anything out, and all of the sudden, the idea of "Etiquette" came to my mind. I literally taught 60 missionaries how to eat right and why they should. I kept thinking about all of my "lessons" with Dad downtown at Lambs and it was actually really fun! We had a practice teach where a couple missionaries eat very poorly in front of President and Sister Jacobsen (who had no idea what was going on) and it went really well. We also talked about asking members "Why are you active?" and helping members remember why they are doing what they are doing. Thanks for all of the idea that helped me!

This week I was thinking about a cute little family I met quiet a few months ago who weren't interested. I thought we should try again, and they said yes!! (I usually just act like I've never met the people because I was in about 300 lbs of coats the last time I knocked on their door...but their 6 year old girl looked at me and said "I think I've seen you before" Shoot! I guess it doesn't work every time! Ha!)

The fourth was fun-kinda. We were given ALL day to play around. But we got to bored we ended up teaching a guy and picking him up as a new investigator! The coolest part of the 4th was dancing in a parking lot as the sun set into the water, and then watching the fireworks over the water. Seriously, Petoskey is the coolest place ever!! 

Overall, I am doing so well. I am loving life, and I can't wait until Huntie is a missionary! I have a referral waiting for him once he is in the field. You would think that Petoskey and Nashville were like Sandy and Draper by the amount of people that know people in each place. I can't wait until I get to send Hunter some names of people to teach. 

I testify that Jesus Christ lives. He is the Son of the Living God. We have a Prophet on the Earth today who allows us to know true doctrine. I am so grateful to know that this church teaches the doctrine that Christ taught. I love Him. 

Have a wonderful week!! 

Sister Ensign 

No comments:

Post a Comment