Saturday, August 27, 2016

If, for a while, the harder you try-the harder it get's- take heart


One of my favorite quotes from Elder Holland is "If, for a while, the harder you try-the harder it get's-take heart. So it has been with the best people who have ever lived". I don't know if I have ever worked harder in my life, and it's sure been a while since Satan’s influence has been this discouraging. Looking back on this week, it was so great and so much good happened that no WONDER it was so hard-...Satan was a slightly peeved to say the least. It truthfully was a rough week, but it was also so so so good. And...that last sentence sums up missionary work at its finest. Haha! 
     As I have felt very inadequate and discouraged this week, I have been thinking about the 3 Nephites who are still here (and if you are one of those 3 Nephites and happen to be reading this letter-you are my hero. I'm currently in Traverse City and I'll be in Provo at the beginning of next year-and I'd love to go to lunch or something and chat). As Christ was leaving them, He said, "and again, ye shall not have pain while ye shall dwell in the flesh, neither sorrow save it be for the sins of the world..." (3 Nephi 28:9). Think of all of the things these three and John have seen? I wonder what has been the hardest thing for them to watch through each generation? I wonder where they were during the revolutionary war, the world wars, the cold war, and all that is going on right now. Having seen Christ personally and to now to be living in a "post Christian" era, I wonder what their sadness and discouragement feels like. But I'm sure they keep their heads high and keep on preaching the good word-and so must I. :) 
    One great thing that happened this week was transfer calls! Sister Fletcher and I will be staying together!! I am SOSOSO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, I thought we might, but I'm stoked. 
    I also know that God is personally looking out for me every day. As we were grocery shopping earlier this afternoon, a woman came up to us and said, "I just felt impressed like I needed to talk to you. I love the Mormons. You are doing a great job. Thank you for our service". Say what?! Thanks! Also, Sister Fletcher and I get asked if we are twins literally every day. We get asked if we are sisters all of the time, but it seems like we were asked so many times this week! And then when people are drawn to talk to us to find out if we are twins, they all of the sudden find themselves at the end of the conversation with an appointment to learn about the Book of Mormon next week.
    We met this little family that the parents are LA, but their 14-year-old daughter wants to be baptized soon. We put her on date and are going to have her dad baptize her-meaning they have to change some things. The mom is super stand offish, and when I saw her for the first time, I thought "challenge accepted". You will like us, whether you want to or not, you'll like us one day:) 
    We met with many other less actives and met some other investigators. We took one of the Laurels to a lesson with us, and afterwards she said, "WOAH! Missionary work is the best! I could hardly sleep last night I was so nervous and excited to go out with you today". I absolutely love the missionary fire! It made me laugh and I loved seeing someone so excited to serve!
    I hope you all have a wonderful week. If you are doing the best you know how, and life somehow seems to be getting harder---join the club. Elder Holland also said, "You are in good company. In fact, you are in the best company that ever lived'. Angels are around you and are there to bear you up. You've got this! Have a wonderful week!

XOXO
Sister Ensign :) 






We went to the tip of our area called Northport for a picnic on Monday with our branch mission leader. Isn't this beautiful!?!? Can't wait to touch it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment