Wednesday, August 24, 2016

"I'd rather wear out than rust out."


Ok, so you know how people say that missions are the best two years of your life? Most definitely the best two years for my life-a struggle to say the least when facing a sinus infection. I was teaching a new guy about the restoration, and my nose was so stuffed he literally couldn't understand a word I was saying. I just sat there, laughed, and looked at my greenie (who is AMAZING) to take it over because I my blocked nasal cavities were preoccupied as they became well acquainted with two whole boxes of Vicks scented tissue. Even though I felt kind of crummy, it was cool to see how the Lord helped me be able to work every day. He helped me not feel too tired and to help my greenie know what to say when I was coughing like a maniac. I received a blessing, and I know all will be well. It's my own fault too-I just love to talk with other missionaries when we get together and stay up chatting about who knows what. Moral of the story-if we don't take time to take care of our bodies, they will make us take time to feel better (unless your a missionary-then the Lord will help you keep doing the work every day) :) 

This week was actually pretty good considering the sickness! However, we did drop 4 of our investigators. They weren't progressing, so we're excited to see what miracles will be placed in our paths this upcoming week. We met the CUTEST little family in a town called Suttons Bay right on the coast. They have already had all of the lessons because they used to live in Colorado, and their member friends sent over the new missionaries to "practice" on them. Smooth. I am a little worried on how high my hopes are. It's fun when I met someone and think, "Yep. You fit the mold. You would be perfect". But then it's also fun to see people who come from crazy backgrounds and think "You'd have to change everything, but it's exactly what you need". 

I was down in Lansing this week for MLC and we had a huge BBQ together as leaders in the Mission. It was the first time I was able to see Sister Bates and Sonderegger from the MTC and all talk. You would think we had known each other for years. We laughed to hard and talked about the craziness of the mission thus far. 

We have met so many nice people recently (more than normal), which may be due to having a greenie on board. Sister Fletcher is doing so well and I am so proud of her. It is so fun to watch her apply the little things she has learned and already see her becoming braver. It makes me excited to Hunter to get into the field and watch him change. Love the kid. 

I studied about the sacrament this week-particularly from 3 Nephi 20. People often say they don't need to go to church to be a good person or to become closer to God. In many ways, they are right! We have such a large responsibility to build our relationship with God outside of the church building. However, we have been commanded to go to church because of the sacrament. When we take the sacrament worthily and with purpose, we can be forgiven of the wrong that we do, and don't have to feel guilty anymore. Then we can have the Holy Ghost with us ALWAYS. I second Elder Oaks when he says, "To those brothers and sisters who may have allowed themselves to become lax in this vital renewal of the covenants of the sacrament, I plead in the words of the First Presidency that you come back and feast at the table of the Lord, and taste again of the sweet and satisfying fruits of fellowship with the saints. Let us qualify ourselves for our Savior's promise that by partaking of the sacrament we will be filled, which means we will be filled with the Spirit. That spirit-the Holy Ghost- is our comforter, our direction finder our communicator, our interpreter, our witness, and our purifier-our infallible guide and sanctifier for our mortal journey toward eternal life". 

I am so glad He called me on a mission. It may be especially the times when I don't feel the best that I am grateful that I know I have the Atonement to heal me. I testify Jesus Christ lives and He and His Father have a plan for us. 

Have a great week. Thanks for the letters and the little packages!! Love you!!

XOXO
Sister Ensign 

No comments:

Post a Comment